JAUM Company of the Year Competition_during comp
At the competition, high school students will present the results of their business and learning experiences to a panel of judges who evaluate company performance against the competition criteria. To win this prestigious award, it takes more than creating an exciting product/service or running a financially sound business. Team members also must demonstrate an understanding of how and why the company performed as it did, and balance the business achievements of the team with each member’s personal development. Judges will look for evidence of innovation and application of new ideas in all aspects of company operations.
Stages of Competition
There are three stages to the competition with an opportunity to showcase JA Company Program products at the Entrepreneurial Expo tabling session prior to the start of the event. The judged elements are:
- Stage One – Written annual reports and commercials
- Stage Two – Company presentations
- Stage Three – Interview with the judging panel
Full details for each stage of the competition are available in the competition Guidelines and Criteria for Participants.
Awards and Scholarships
1st place – $1,000 post-secondary scholarship for each competing team member
2nd place – $500 post-secondary scholarship for each competing team member
3rd place – $250 post-secondary scholarship for each competing team member
Otto Bremer Student Entrepreneur of the Year – $1,000 post-secondary scholarship
The top three teams will have the opportunity to apply to compete at the JA National Leadership Summit to be held in Washington, DC, June 21-25, 2020.
Students, as you plan your commercials, presentations, and marketing efforts, don’t forget about these additional awards:
- Innovation Award – most innovative and forward-thinking product or service
- Awesome Ad Award – most creative commercial that showcases the company and product/service
- Exceptional Exhibit Award – most creative table display that showcases the company and product/service
- Humanitarian Award – awarded to the company with the best philanthropic or social awareness component to their business plan
- Techie Star Award – best use of technology to promote the company at the trade show, during the presentation, and in the commercial
- Social Butterfly Award – best use of social media to promote the company. Posts must tag JAUM to be considered.
- Otto Bremer Student Entrepreneur of the Year – Officers of competing companies are eligible to apply for this award. Officer’s company must be selected to participate in the JAUM Company of the Year Competition in order to qualify for the award. The winner will receive a $1,000 post-secondary scholarship courtesy of the Otto Bremer Trust. Application deadline is April 8. Apply online.
- Polished Presenter Award – awarded to the individual who exudes the most professionalism and confidence during the company presentations
- Rising Star Award – awarded to the individual who demonstrated outstanding professionalism and potential during the competition
Check out photos from the 2018 JAUM Company of the Year Competition
All photos on Junior Achievement’s Flickr Page are available for download.
Please give photo credit to JAUM if republishing online or in print.